Friday, August 11, 2017

Card Leak: Silvally-GX and Gengar from SM4

Sorry for missing this one: I've been feeling kinda overwhelmed and I've completely lost focus on the Pokemon scene. Hopefully I can get back on track now. Apologies in advance.
 
 
Silvally-GX – Colorless – HP210
Stage 1 – Evolves from Type: Null
 
Ability: Gyro Unit
As long as this Pokemon is in play, all of your Basic Pokemon have 0 retreat cost.
 
[C][C][C] Turbo Drive: 120 damage. Attach a Basic Energy card from your discard pile to 1 of your Benched Pokemon.
 
[C][C][C] Rebellion GX: 50x damage. This attack does 50 damage times the number of your opponent’s Benched Pokemon. (You can’t use more than 1 GX attack per game.)
 
When 1 of your Pokemon-GX is Knocked Out, your opponent takes 2 Prize cards.
Weakness: Fighting (x2)
Resistance: none
Retreat: 2
 
---
 
Eh, Silvally's alright. It does three pretty nifty things: It gives Basic Pokemon Free Retreat, can attack-and-supply, and has a rather powerful GX attack to boot. I like all three things this card's capable of doing, really.
 
But nothing about it makes me scream 'wow, this is unique' like other GX's. With its variety of great features, I'm sure it'll be played, but the card as a whole doesn't have a major selling point that pushes it into crazy playability. I'm sure the Ability will be a great Float Stone replacement for Basic-centric decks like Volcanion, but otherwise, it's an honest abe.
 
 
Gengar – Psychic – HP130
Stage 2 – Evolves from Haunter
 
Ability: Eroding Curse
Whenever your opponent attaches an Energy from their hand to 1 of their Pokemon, place 2 damage counters on that Pokemon.
 
[P][C][C] Pitch Dark: 70 damage. Your opponent’s Active Pokemon is now Confused.
 
Weakness: Darkness (x2)
Resistance: Fighting (-20)
Retreat: 0
 
-
 
Gengar's Ability is a twice-as-powerful version of Ampharos Prime's Poke-Power. But despite that, I'm just gonna cut to the chase and say that this card is not good. Sure, it can stack and deal some pretty bulky passive damage to some decks like Gardevoir, but that's all I can say on its behalf.
      Almost every deck in the BKT-on format will have some way to play Energy through the discard pile (Volcanion, Metagross) or the deck (Vikavolt, Solgaleo, Max Elixir). And on that same note most decks that DO attack through hand attachments only use about 1-2 Energy at a time. Even with 4 Gengar in play, that's not a whole lot of damage.
 
Huh, a mediocre Gengar card. That's... honestly really surreal.
 

3 comments:

  1. Silavally: Ok. Pretty good.

    Gengar: Why play this?

    This is a great blog! Maybe you can check out my pokemon blog:Lilfredspokemon. I sponcered this blog by the way. I just posted a blog about 3 funny pictures I found.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if Gengar would work in the Flygon BCR deck I'm trying to make, I need a partner for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dunno, two Stage 2 lines that are just slowly putting damage on the field through Abilities seems both unreliable and weak. It's a neat idea on paper, but I don't like it in execution.

      But if you're still looking to build Flygon BCR, you could try Dusknoir BCR, too. Flygon/Dusknoir was a fun rogue deck back in NXD-on. Other than Dusknoir, I kinda like Honchkrow GRI for heavy damage, or Meowstic FLF as a peppier Sinister Hand.

      Delete